Thursday, September 5, 2013

Potholder Tutorial

I wanted to make some potholders for my daughter but didn't want to do any binding. While I was cutting out squares for a rag quilt I thought that would be the ideal way to make them. Then instead of using batting I used denim from an old pair of jeans I had.
 
Here's how I made them.

I cut out four squares 7" x 7" but you can use any size you like.
Two squares are from denim and two in quilting cotton.


Place your two denim squares wrong sides together then place your back square under both of those with the wrong side facing up followed by the top square right side facing up.
   

Next you want to sew around the outer edge three times trying to make your stitching wonky. This was the hardest part for me as I've always tried to keep my stitching as straight as possible.




 Next mark a square with tailors chalk or a disappearing marker pen 2" in from the outer edge. Then sew over the marked square three times, again wonky. If you don't want to do a square you can sew a cross from each corner as you would on rag quilts.


 Now trim your outer edges with pinking shears. I keep the cut off edges for making something in the future when I've collected enough. I'll show you what it is when I've collected enough.


 Now you want to throw your potholders in the washing machine so the edges fray. Then you can throw them in the tumble dryer or hang them outside to dry. Once dry trim the loose threads.


 You've finished. Quick and easy to make.
I also made these tea towels to give to my daughter along with the table mats I made for her.

 For some reason one is missing from the photo. I made eight.



~ Maria ~

7 comments:

  1. Hi Maria,
    great Tutorial you made :O) You busy bee :O))
    Have a happy day,
    hugs to you,
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are great! I wouldn't have to try too hard to sew wonky seams, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did I read correctly....WONKY stitching? I didn't think you even knew what that meant! LOLLL Great Tutorial Maria....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wohoo! Finally we see some wonky stitching, even if it is intentional!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is such a cute set! It is so bright and cheerful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maria, this is a great tutorial, thank you!!!! I love the colors of your potholders !!!!
    I'm trying to catch up with my favorite blogs and here I am, I will continue my walk through your blog, as always your work is magnificent and I am filled with inspiration :)
    Marisa from
    http://passionetcouture.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. Your comments mean so much to me and inspire me to create.
~Maria~